As one of the easiest and most inexpensive sources of protein, eggs make a great addition to any meal, especially breakfast. But sometimes bland scrambled eggs and ketchup get a little boring. Here are five healthy egg recipes to spice up your meal.
Scrambled Egg Breakfast Muffins
- 12 eggs
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2-3 tablespoons onion, diced
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- Pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup baby spinach, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or use thick muffin liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add in remaining ingredients and mix together.
- Scoop ⅓ cup of mixture into each muffin liner. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center of the muffin is completely cooked.
Whole Egg, Bacon, and Avocado Quesadilla
- 3 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 4 flour tortillas
- 4 eggs
- 1 large avocado, halved and sliced
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Add the bacon and cook until cooked to your liking. Remove bacon onto a paper towel lined plate.
- Drain excess fat from the skillet and wipe away/scrape off any black bits. Return to the stove over medium heat.
- Place a tortilla in the skillet. Place avocado slices around the rim of half the tortilla and thinner slices across the middle to form a “ring” to hold the egg – as per the photo above. Squish the pieces close together to seal them so the egg does not leak.
- Crack an egg into the center, and sprinkle with bacon and cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Fold the tortilla over and cook for 4 minutes or until golden and crisp. I usually cook two in the skillet.
- Flip, turning over the folded edge (i.e. slide the flip under the curved edge and flip over the folded edge). Cook the other side for 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove from the skillet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Serve immediately, while hot!
Ham Quiche Cups
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 and 1/2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 18 slices of thinly sliced ham
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F
- Whisk eggs in a bowl
- Add remaining ingredients, except for ham, and stir to combine
- Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray
- Fit one slice of ham in each chamber
- Spoon about 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into each chamber so that it is 3/4 full
- Use a fork to distribute the cheese
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The top will begin to brown. If it browns too quickly, then tent a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
Remove from oven and cool for about 10 minutes.
Healthy Egg Salad
For the Healthy Egg Salad:
- 4 hard cooked eggs, plus 2 hard cooked egg whites
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- Whole grain bread, toasted (for 4 open faced sandwiches)
- Arugula, tomato, additional chopped fresh dill
- Peel the eggs and cut into a rough dice.
- Place in a large mixing bowl, then add the celery, Greek yogurt, mustard, salt, pepper, and dill. Stir to combine.
- Serve egg salad on toasted bread with tomatoes and arugula, or enjoy atop greens for a healthy salad.
Egg Drop Soup
- 4 cups good-quality chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 large eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 green onions, sliced thin, plus extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup whole-kernel corn or creamed corn
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Whisk together chicken stock (chilled or room-temperature), cornstarch, ginger, and garlic powder in a medium saucepan until combined and no lumps remain. Cook over high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and egg whites in a small measuring cup or bowl. (I find the measuring cup easier for pouring.)
- Once the broth reaches a boil, remove from heat. Then use a fork or whisk to stir the broth in a circular motion, while slowly pouring the whisked eggs into the soup to create egg ribbons. Stir in the sesame oil, green onions, and corn (optional) until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, topped with additional green onions for garnish.